Monday, December 21, 2009

Notes from Deniz - Day 7

Hello All,

Today is the day of surprise (for me)!

All morning was the council meeting!

And the suprise was waiting for me in the tent!

I went to the tent after the council meeting and guess what I saw? Pınar and Tuna were in the tent with their group from Sweden, all visiting! Such a nice suprise. I felt so supported and lightened in a way!

Today's subject in the Climate Bottom Meeting is "Live and Learn- Education and Experimentation". Whole afternoon was allocated to talk about the EDE (Ecovillage Design Education, www.gaiaeducation.org) from all over the world and I was also in the program to make a presentation about Turkish EDEs. So, it was just perfect to see Pınar and Tuna who have been the part of EDE journey in Turkey and actively involved in different projects afterwards (Pınar and Tuna are studying in Sweden about Sustainability). It was really a great support for me to find them there.

It was also very inspiring to be on the stage with all these EDE running countries like Brazil, India, Germany, Africa, Thailand and, of course Turkey. Very rich and great to be part of this family!

So, for me, today was the day of friendship and support! When I was doing EDE in Thailand in last winter, facilitators invited a very famous buddhist spiritually engaged activist called Sulak Sivaraksa. He is also part of the Parliament of the World's Religious. He gave us a talk and then there were a question and answer session. One of the participants asked him "What is the most important thing in life?" Since he is Buddhist, I was expecting him to say "Living in the present moment" or "to be enlightened" or so. But his answer was none of these.

He said "The most important thing in life is good friends" He was talking from his heart and he really means it.

I was surprised! Never really expecting to hear this. But his words hit me. As time passes, part of me started to get convinced that really the most important thing in life may be good friends! Ecovillagers may call "good friends" as community, buddhist people would call "sangha" and similar words for many other groups.

So, in community
Deniz

PS: By the way, today's funeral was the funeral of "The Linear Thinking"

No comments:

Post a Comment